Actinic Keratosis | Early Treatment Is Essential
A premalignant condition such as actinic keratosis can lead to something worse like a squamous cell carcinoma. Squamous cells are affected by this type of skin cancer, and our skin is made up of squamous cells. You must have actinic keratosis eradicated to lower your risks of having skin cancer.
Actinic keratosis is caused by the irregular maturation of keratinocytes. Actinic keratoses have the characteristics of a wart, although it’s cause is different. The name keratosis came from the word “keratin”. This also contributes to actinic keratosis’ wart like appearance.
Disregarding your actinic keratosis can lead to something even worse. The susceptibility of squamous cells is due to its flatness and thinness. So, one may decide to have these actinic keratoses removed to avoid further danger of cancer.
Many treatments for actinic keratosis are now available, and its up to your doctor which type of treatment would suit you best. Other things to consider are your financial capabilities and the condition of your actinic keratosis.
Actinic Keratosis Removal Treatments
• Laser surgery can be pricey, but it’s worth every dollar when it comes to its effectiveness. Carbon dioxide and Erbium YAG lasers are used for these skin lesions.
• Electrocautery is a form of cautery that uses electricity to burn off areas infested with actinic keratosis.
• With the use of extremely low temperature to crush damaged cells, cryosurgery removes actinic keratoses. Liquid nitrogen is used for this procedure.
• Although commonly used for chemotherapy, 5-fluorouracil also helps to alleviate actinic keratosis. This sort of cream works by inhibiting the further reproduction of abnormal cells. It is immediately absorbed by the abnormal cells and not the healthy cells. With the use of this cream, many side effects can be experienced but you can bet that the results are going to be good.
• Imiquimod which goes by trade names Aldara or Beselna, is a cream which is classified as an immune response modifier. Great fortitude and tolerance should be taken on your part to get optimum effects.
Actinic keratoses can be removed by those treatments effectively, but there are still more treatments available. Before you decide to go through these treatments, have a medical assessment first. Early intervention of actinic keratosis can prevent you from having bigger problems such as squamous cell carcinoma.
Read More Articles on: Actinic Keratosis
Actinic Keratosis: How To Identify And Treat One
Actinic & Seborrheic Keratosis
Actinic Keratosis Can Be Precancerous
Comments on this entry are closed.